Wednesday, July 29, 2009
reclaiming my space
After 23 months of toys underfoot and crumbs or goldfish crackers scattered about the apartment, I have decided to reclaim my home. When I found out I was pregnant the takeover began. First, a toy. Soon, bags and bags of toys, clothes, diapers, bottles, burp cloths, baby swing, big floor toys for him to lay under, jumparoo, walker, playpen.... it has all come and gone at some point within the last 2 years. I was very sad to see it all go, remembering to cherish not only Bens firsts but also his lasts. Today, as I was cleaning up the living room I realized that all that was left in the living room that is explicitly Benjamins was his books. :( All of his toys go in his room. His room that has recently become his favorite place to play. So, I am nostalgic over how fast he is growing up. Definitely not a baby anymore. Of course, they are always our babies until the end of time, right moms ;) Today I am reclaiming my living room. No longer a place where toys and books are overrunning everything else.... but my living room. Where I can sit and be an adult. I can have other adults over without worrying about them tripping over a toy and breaking their neck. The toy tripping has happened, thank God no broken necks...lol I don't plan on removing everything toddler... I AM a mother after all, he does live here. I am amazed at how wonderful it feels to have a living room again. Maybe I am weird, but I feel like I had become Bens mom instead of Rachel. Its like I got a little piece of ME back. I know people are thinking 'dont wish away his childhood...' thats not what I mean. I have loved every (almost..lol) second of watching him grow. I simply need to be Rachel again, instead of Bens mom.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Good luck reclaiming your living space! My children are 5,6 and 11 and it seems like a fruitless endeavor at times! The clutter changes (carelessly discarded Guitar Hero guitars vs. bouncy toys, for example!) but the struggle remains the same. =)
Just stopping in to check on how you're doing!
Thanks so much for the supportive comment regarding school. You have a good point! I may very well just take a few classes at a time and see where that takes me. =)
Post a Comment